SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS
47th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea
11 - 14 September 2014
The Societas Linguistica Europaea and the Faculty of English of Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Poland, invite you to submit abstracts for workshop, poster or general session papers for the next annual meeting.
SLE meetings provide a forum for high-quality linguistic research from all (sub)domains of linguistics. For more information on previous editions, see SLE 2011, SLE 2012 and SLE 2013. The upcoming edition of the SLE meeting will also host a round table of experts to discuss topics of special linguistic interest. SLE 2014 round table bears the title “Quo Vadis Linguistics”.
A list of thematic workshops can be found on our website: http://www.sle2014.eu/programme
The deadline for all abstracts is 15 January 2014. Notification of acceptance/rejection will be by 31 March 2014.
- Laurie Bauer (Victoria University of Wellington)
- Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań) (presidential address)
- Francesca Masini (University of Bologna)
- Peter Hagoort (MPI for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen) (“Quo Vadis Linguistics” round table)
- Martin Haspelmath (MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig) (“Quo Vadis Linguistics” round table)
Local organizing Committee
- Chair: Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk (Faculty of English)
Magdalena Wrembel (Faculty of English)
Paulina Zydorowicz (Faculty of English)
Małgorzata Kul (Faculty of English)
Jarosław Weckwerth (Faculty of English)
Piotr Wierzchoń (Department of Linguistics)
Grażyna Demenko (Department of Linguistics)
Maciej Karpinski (Department of Linguistics)
- Administrative support:
SLE Conference Management
- Treasurer: Dik Bakker (Amsterdam)
- Conference manager: Ana Díaz-Negrillo (Granada)
- Chair: Bert Cornillie (Leuven).
- Members: Werner Abraham (Wien – München), Alexander Adelaar (Melbourne), Karin Aijmer (Gothenburg), Laura Alba-Juez (Madrid, UNED), Peter Arkadiev (Moscow), Jóhanna Barddal (Bergen), Valeria A. Belloro (Querétaro, México), Paola Benincà (Padua), Marcella Bertuccelli (Pisa), Kasper Boye (Copenhagen), Anne Carlier (Lille), Michela Cennamo (Naples), Guglielmo Cinque (Venice), Concepción Company Company (UNAM – Mexico), Francisco J. Cortés Rodríguez (La Laguna), Denis Creissels (Lyon), María Josep Cuenca (Valencia), Hubert Cuyckens (Leuven), Kristin Davidse (Leuven), Stuart Davis (Indiana), Philippe De Brabanter (Paris), Walter De Mulder (Antwerp), Nicole Delbecque (Leuven), Pierpaolo Di Carlo (SUNY - New York), Dagmar Divjak (Sheffield), Patricia Donegan (Honolulu), Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk (Poznań), Andrés Enrique-Arias (Illes Balears), Victoria Escandell-Vidal (UNED-Madrid), Małgorzata Fabiszak (Poznań), Teresa Fanego (Santiago de Compostela), Zygmunt Frajzyngier (Boulder), Antonio García Gómez (Alcalá), María del Pilar García Mayo (Madrid), Francesco Gardani (Graz), Volker Gast (Jena), Spike Gildea (Oregon), Alessandra Giorgi (Venice), María de los Ángeles Gómez González (Santiago de Compostela), Francisco Gonzálvez (Almería), Stefan Th Gries (UCSB), Kleanthes K. Grohmann (Cyprus), Eva Hajičová (Prague), Björn Hansen (Regensburg), Maj-Britt Mosegaard Hansen (Manchester), Martin Hilpert (Manchester), Hans Henrich Hock (Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), Elly Ifantidou (Athens), Johannes Kabatek (Zürich), Gunther Kaltenböck (Wien), Petar Kehayov (Tartu), Mikhail Kissine (Bruxelles), Seppo Kittilä (Helsinki), Björn Köhnlein (Leiden), László Komlósi (Pécs), Bernd Kortmann (Freiburg), Livia Körtvélyessy (Košice), Gitte Kristiansen (Madrid, Complutense), Karen Lahousse (Leuven), Meri Larjavaara (Turku/Åbo), Pierre Larrivée (Caen Basse-Normandie), David Lasagabaster (Vitoria), María Luisa Lecumberri (Vitoria-Gasteiz), Elisabeth Leiss (München), María Rosa Lloret (Barcelona), María José López Couso (Santiago de Compostela), Lucía Loureiro-Porto (Balearic Islands), Andrej Malchukov (Mainz), Francesca Masini (Bologna), Belén Méndez-Naya (Santiago de Compostela), Helle Metslang (Tartu), Amina Mettouchi (Paris), Katarzyna Miechowicz-Mathiasen (Poznań), Gabriele Miššíková (Nitra), Edith Moravcsik (Wisconsin), Henrik Høeg Müller (Copenhagen), Nicola Munaro (Venice), Pieter Muysken (Nijmegen), Heiko Narrog (Tohoku), Nicole Nau (Poznań), Jan Nuyts (Antwerp), Miren Lourdes Oñederra (Vitoria-Gasteiz), Brigitte Pakendorf (Lyon), Carita Paradis (Lund), Paola Pietrandrea (Roma III), José Pinto de Lima (Lisbon), Vladimir Plungjan (Moscow), Cecilia Poletto (Frankfurt), Lola Pons Rodríguez (Sevilla), Anne Reboul (Paris), Eric Reuland (Utrecht), Nicoletta Romeo (New South Wales), Anna Roussou (Patras), Francisco Ruiz de Mendoza (Logroño), Cinzia Russi (Austin), Fernando Sánchez Miret (Salamanca), Andrea Sansò (Insubria), Stephan Schmid (Zürich), Elena Seoane-Posse (Vigo), Petra Sleeman (Amsterdam), Elena Smirnova (Hannover), John Charles Smith (Oxford), Augusto Soares da Silva (Braga), Mario Squartini (Torino), Dejan Stosic (Artois), Cristina Suárez-Gómez (Illes Balears), Jarmila Tárnyiková (Olomouc), Catherine Travis (Canberra), Dorien Van De Mieroop (Leuven), Johan van der Auwera (Antwerp), Elly Van Gelderen (Arizona), Henk van Riemsdijk (Tilburg), Guido Vanden Wyngaerd (Brussels), Salvador Valera (Granada), Arie Verhagen (Leiden), Jean-Christophe Verstraete (Leuven), Letizia Vezzosi (Perugia), Nigel Vincent (Manchester), Jacqueline Visconti (Genova), Ferdinand von Mengden (Berlin), Søren Wichmann (EVA – Leipzig), Dominique Willems (Ghent), Alena Witzlack-Makarevich (Zurich), Ruth Wodak (Lancaster), Fernando Zúñiga (Bern).
Guidelines for submission: workshop proposals and papers, posters and general session papers
15 January 2014 is the deadline for all abstracts (workshop and general sessions papers and poster session). Notification of acceptance will be given by 31 March 2014.
WORKSHOP AND GENERAL SESSION PAPERS. Abstracts should not exceed 500 words (exclusive of references) and should clearly state research questions, approach, method, data and (expected) results.
Abstracts should be registered and submitted via the Submit Abstract form, where you can upload an attachment. Abstracts should have the same title as the entry submitted via the Submit abstract form. Abstracts should not mention the presenter(s) nor their affiliations or addresses. Only references mentioned in the text can be listed. Check the final abstract carefully before submission. Abstracts will not be edited for typing, spelling, or grammatical errors after submission. Submit the abstract as a Word document. If it contains special characters, please send a PDF version to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abstracts must be single-spaced and fully justified. The standard font will be Calibri, size 10. The margins will be 2.54 top/bottom and 1.91 left/right (moderate in MS Word). References will have a hanging indent of 1.27 cm.
POSTERS. The next SLE meeting will hold a poster session of an hour for both senior and junior researchers. In order to foster interaction, all other sessions will be suspended during the poster session. Posters may remain available during the rest of the conference. The maximum size of the poster is 1.10 m (vertical) x 1 m (horizontal). For more information about how to make a good poster, click here.
MULTIPLE PAPERS. One person may submit a single-authored abstract, a single-authored abstract and a co-authored one (not as first author) or two co-authored abstracts (only one as first author). Note that keynote papers within workshops count as ordinary papers. Presentations will be 20 minutes plus 10 minutes question time.
EVALUATION. All abstracts will be reviewed anonymously by three referees. Abstracts submitted to the general session and to the poster session will be evaluated by three members of the Scientific Committee. Workshop papers receive two evaluations by the Scientific Committee members and one by the workshop convenors. The threshold for acceptance is the same for general session, poster and workshop abstracts. The acceptance of a paper does not depend on the kind of the topic proposed, but depends only on the quality of the abstract.
Prize for the best presentation and the best poster
There will be a prize for the best oral presentation by a PhD student, a prize for the best oral presentation by a postdoc and a prize for the best poster (see SLE 2012 and SLE 2013 awards).
For current purposes, PhD-students are students that have not completed their PhD before the conference. Postdocs have completed their PhD not earlier than January 2011. A nominated paper may be co-authored; in such a case the nominee will be the first author.
Applicants are invited to mark the option referring to the prize when they register their abstract. On the basis of the ranking of the abstracts, the Scientific Committee will set up an internal shortlist with nominees for the prizes.
Members of the Editorial Board of Folia Linguistica (Historica) and the Scientific Committee will decide who will be awarded the first prize of 500 Euros in each category as well as the 2nd and 3rd prize, which is a three-year SLE membership.
Registration will start on 1 April 2014. SLE meetings are member only conferences. That is, all participants with a paper in the program will have to be members. The early bird conference fee for members will be 170 Euros.
Become a member of the Societas Linguistica Europaea and get a discount.
The social programme will include the following:
- A conference reception at the Collegium Chemicum Novum, University Campus, featuring a special music band performance (included in the registration fee, Thursday 11/09/2014).
- A city walk (included in the registration fee, Friday 12/09/2014).
- A conference dinner at the top range Andersia Hotel featuring an unprecedented SLE surprise (extra fee, Saturday 13/09/2014).
- Post-conference excursions (1) the Piast royal trail, (2) the mansions tour (Kórnik and Rogalin), (3) Poznań brewery tour (extra fee, Sunday afternoon 14/09/2014).
How to get to Poznań
Poznań is easily accessible by air, road, train or bus. It is located about half way between Warsaw (280 km) and Berlin (240 km), and there are good, frequent rail connections between those two cities and Poznań. Poznań's Ławica airport has frequent daily connections with Warsaw (LOT Polish Airlines), as well as Copenhagen (SAS), Munich and Frankfurt (LOT and Lufthansa). Poznań is also served by low-cost carriers that fly directly from a number of cities in the UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden and other European countries.
|15 January 2014||deadline for submission of all abstracts|
|31 March 2014||notification of acceptance|
|1 April 2014||early bird registration starts|
|1 June 2014||registration (full fee)|
|30 June 2014||registration closed for participants with a paper|
|15 August 2014||registration closes|
SLE 2014 Local Organizing Committee
Małgorzata Kul, Paulina Zydorowicz
SLE Conference Manager